Saturday, November 10, 2007

Do Mormons celebrate holidays?

While surfing the web, I occasionally see where someone questions whether Mormons celebrate holidays such as Christmas. They question this because many don't think that Mormons are not Christians. This always baffles me, and I want to ask these skeptics if their church has the name of Jesus Christ in it, as does the Mormon church. The Mormons belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Again, how many other churches are named after our Savior?

There are LDS Temples all over the world, and I challenge anyone to drive by a Temple at night during the Christmas season and observe all the lights being displayed. At the Temple in Salt Lake City over a million lights will be displayed on Temple Square alone. There will be displays everywhere on Temple Square with Christmas scenes. Christian Christmas scenes. Yet, while surfing the web, I'll still see the uninformed saying not to vote for Mitt Romney because he is not a Christian, and that Mormons are not Christian. And some of these uninformed people saying this are ministers of other faiths, whose church does not even bear the name of Jesus Christ. This simply amazes me.

Yes, we who belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints celebrate Christmas just like everyone else. And Thanksgiving, and Easter, and the Fourth of July. Mormons are as Christian as Baptist, Catholics, Lutherans, or any others out there who calls themselves Christian.

Sometimes, I feel like the other Christians are jealous that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of the fastest growing churches in the world. And that it is one of the wealthiest churches in the world, primarily because of their belief in tithing. And that they, the other churches, are jealous that they don't have the name of our Savior in the name of their church. IMHO.

5 comments:

Kathi said...

Hi! I came across your blog this morning while researching an article I'm writing about how Christians should handle the holidays of other faiths in the workplace (I can send you a link when it's published, if you like). I had thought that LDS-folks celebrated Christmas, but wasn't sure so I wanted to find a site by a Mormon to confirm it. Thanks!

I did want to comment on this one post, if I may, and ask you two things...

Who do you believe Jesus Christ is? (past, present, and future/eternally)

What do you believe God's plan for mankind is, based on who Jesus Christ is?

Therein, I think, is the crux of the difference between the LDS church and "other" Christians, that you are incorrectly labeling as "jealousy".

If you're interested in respectful, loving dialogue I'd love to talk with you - either here or at my blog (iamhealed.net) or in email.

Hope you have a beautiful day!

Jim Peless said...

Hi Kathi!

First, I want to thank you for visiting and commenting on my humble blog, and second, yes, I would enjoy the link to your research article.

I visited your blog and it is wonderful......very well done. I can see that I have quite a way to go on my blog to even come close to the quality of your blog. Another blog similar to yours that I like can be found here:

http://mormonbeliefs.ldsblogs.com/2007/12/03/lean_not_unto_thine_understanding

Now to answer your question on : "Who do you believe Jesus Christ is? (past, present, and future/eternally)"

Jesus Christ was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament and the Messiah of the New Testament. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, and the Redeemer of the world. He is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God; the light, the life, and the hope of the world today. We as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that He will someday return to earth and rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords.

Your second question was: "What do you believe God's plan for mankind is, based on who Jesus Christ is?"

Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected, and after we are resurrected, we will stand before the Lord to be judged. Each of us will be assigned to an eternal dwelling place in a specific kingdom of glory. The Lord taught this principle when He said, "In my Father's house are many mansions" (John 14:2)

I believe that there are many differences in what the LDS members believe and what the main-stream Christians believe. Because of the great apostasy, much knowledge was lost, and good men are still trying diligently to find the correct path back to the Truth. But without a prophet of God to lead man, man will always fall short in seeking the truth, no matter how good his intentions are. There are literally hundreds of different beliefs in the world today concerning Jesus Christ. Different pastors and ministers in the same religion don't agree on all the same principles. Before I became LDS, I could attend two different Baptist churches and get two different ideas on a certain principle. It all had to do with how and what the preacher speaking at the moment believed in. There are SO many interpretations of the Bible in the varied churches of today. How could this be, I often wondered?

Ok, "jealousy" may have been a strong word to use, but I still believe that to be the case for many others out there. The Mormons have 50,000+ missionaries paying there own way for 1 1/2 - 2 year missions all over the world. The LDS Church dedicates a new meeting house every working day somewhere in the world. The Mormons are a Temple building people, with new Temples being built all over the world that are quite visible and get a lot of media attention. The LDS Church is wealthy due to it's tithe paying members, when other churches are scrambling to find ways to pay for their utilities, and are even putting ATM machines in their lobbies to make it easier for people to donate. So, yes, I do believe that other Christians are jealous, whether they will admit it or not. Of course, they also feel threatened by the Mormons, but I would get even more hostile feedback if I used that word! ;-)

Have a beautiful day!

jp

Anonymous said...

I think that it is a little out of place to acuse people of being jealouse. Who are we to judge their herats? It also seems a little prideful to talk about the wealth of the church in such a way. It is true we have been blessed through our obedience to gods comandments. Please be careful in the way you present the church to others. Please don't do it in a boastful way. For we should not be a prideful people. I can see you are excited to share the good news with others, don't stop doing it. Please do be careful how you do it. When we start to point fingers, it will only hardens hearts, and cause people to shut out the glorious news we can share.

Kathi said...

Hi JP! I didn't realize that you'd responded! I got a ding in my in-box when Anonymous commented today and I wanted to chit-chat with them, and then I saw you'd posted a lengthy reply (even as a geek, sometimes technology just makes me shake my head!)

I'll prayerfully reply shortly! :)

Unknown said...

Did Mormons celebrate holidays such as Christmas. The answer is yes, they celebrate Christmas, Easter and other important days and events in church and family life. They also celebrate holidays that reflect the country in which they live. In the United States, for example, Thanksgiving is a traditional celebration.